Yesterday we were doing our regular morning routine and it was exercise time. He started looking at the ipad so I got it for him to see what he was wanting. I told him it was exercise time and he proceeded to tell me "I want TV, Family Matters"(that show is on Junior's top 10 list at the moment). Hard to say no when I am so pleased that he is initiating using his "voice". I figured we could compromise and I told him okay as long as you cooperate with exercising you can watch Family Matters at the same time.
Last night we got home from a walk and Junior started to cry and complain. I showed him his upset board and he told me "I want to get out of my chair,(I then asked him where he wanted to sit) bed, I want tv, Fantastic 4".
As soon as he told me what he wanted he stopped fussing and was all smiles.
Can you tell this kid loves the tv? Now that he has more choices each time he loves it even more.
Almost daily we are adding/using more symbols and boards. I can't wait to see what Junior will have to tell me today. I am working on a more "conversational" board for him at the moment. Things like, Hi, how are you, I am fine, thank you, etc.
I am so excited to hear how well Junior is communicating. It is completely awesome. Have you ever tried PODD books with him? My SIL is an SLP and I recently attended a one day presentation with the inventor (from Australia). It's really similar to what your doing with the IPAD but its a book with just about endless conversation options. I was pretty convinced that I would prefer electronics but she made a good point that you never have to worry about water, heat or battery life. She said a lot of people start with it and then go to an electronic system but keep this for backup. Anyway, long story short we are going to start using it soon with Cody. It can be made to meet the needs of the kid. Cody will need one that is CVI friendly and since he has very limited controled use of his hands we will be modeling for a long time.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work Junior!!
Laura G
WOW that's fantastic that its going so well!!! So exciting!
ReplyDelete